Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pharmaceutical Drug Companies

Welcome to the 2nd installment of "A New Day, A New Rant". As promised in the last segment, today my rant is brought to you by the prescription drug companies.

So to start out, I would like to say this rant is completely biased. I realize that I am not taking from information or resources that would in any way paint the drug companies in a good light. Sorry, sometimes I don't allow a devils advocate.

Here's my rant...

Why the hell would we allow this industry to run around in the private sector? Prescription drugs are big business. Americans spend something like 200 billion a year on this garbage. Some of it is beneficial. I enjoy being able to take anti-biotics when I have an infection, or benadryl when my allergies are acting up, but the bulk of the drugs produced we really don't know enough about to allow people to take. How much do we know about the brain and the long term effects of a stimulant on the brain? How about a suppressor? We really don't, because it takes a lot of time to be able to study those effects. They don't happen over night. In most cases the serious effects of the drugs we take now, don't happen until much farther down the road. We don't know, and yet we allow these companies to give us these drugs in pretty staggering quantities.

When I was a kid, I had energy. I was like any other young boy. My brothers were the same. Now, a kid with energy has ADHD. They give that kid Ritalin now. The spirit of that child has been dampened. I say, let the kid play. Let that kid burn up that energy. Don't try to put that kid in front of a boob tube all day. The problem really, is sloth. People are too lazy to go outside with their kid. They are too lazy to pay attention to their childs needs. People are too busy playing Farmville or X Box 360 or World of Warcraft etc etc. We are all so distracted that we don't take care of what needs taking care of. so we turn to someone else to do it. If the babysitter known as TV doesn't do the trick, we get them set up with a doctor for some drugs and then put those doped up, comatose, and now broken kids back in front of a TV to absorb a whole lot of rot and filth that spews from that wretched evil box of brain washing.

So these prescription drug companies take lots and lots of tax money for "research" into the next new drug that we all NEED. They have produced a thousand drugs to give a guy a woody way past the time when he should be able to have one, but no cure for cancer? no cure for AIDS? Wait wait wait. Hold the phone right there. WHAT? They have a drug that TREATS my depression, my erectile disfunction, my social anxiety, and migraines. They don't mind TREATING my cancer or AIDS, but curing it... why would they do that? They get billions a year for research and treatment means more drugs being sold, which means more profits for the company. No, they don't want to cure anything at all. They don't want to cure a cold, they want to freaking treat you for it indefinitely. Not only do these companies have hands in our pockets as deeply as they can, they have their other hand on the plug to our life support and they are more than willing to pull it once that pocket it empty. I say that after all the money we have put into these companies, they sure as hell should have cured SOMETHING by now. But have they? No. They just treat your ailments so they can keep you coming back.

Doesn't that kinda sound like the charlatans that would go town to town selling miracle "tonics" in olden days? You know what those duped townspeople would do to said charlatans? Tar and feather or hang them. Sounds good to me. What more needs to be said?

This concludes this segment of  "A New Day, A New Rant". My next installment will be directed towards deadbeat parents. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment